After almost 2 more weeks doing this elimination diet to try to eat safe foods only and get rid of all my symptoms, I still haven’t managed to have more than 1.5 good day in a row…
I have learned a few things though. In addition to foods containing short-chain fermentable carbohydrates (FODMAPs) like fructose, fructans, lactose and polyols, I believe I am also sensitive to some natural food chemicals present in foods (salicylates, amines and glutamates), which is also called FAILSAFE diet.
I don’t tolerate:
- coconut oil (eliminated a week ago; rich in salicylates and amines)
- butter (eliminated yesterday; contains traces of lactose and casein)
- any nuts (eliminated 1.5 week ago; rich in salicylates and amines)
- macadamia oil (eliminated a week ago; rich in salicylates and amines)
- pork (eliminated a week ago; rich in amines)
- bacon (tried once 1.5 week ago; rich in amines)
- maple syrup (even 1 tsp. made me feel bad, or maybe it was the butter I had with it? will have to test in the future)
- fruit tea, green tea (eliminated over a week ago; high in salicylates)
- balsamic vinegar or any vinegar (eliminated over a week ago; high in salicylates and amines)
The last 7 days I ate only chicken, beef, eggs and butter. But since I eliminated butter yesterday, I am eating 4 foods: chicken, beef, eggs and light (tasteless) olive oil. Up to yesterday, butter was my main fat, but I think it prevented me from getting better… I was so sad and although I suspected butter was causing problems, I still continued eating it for one more week before finally ditching it yesterday… That was part of the grieving process I guess!
Because I cannot only eat protein, I had to find another fat and the best option I found is light olive oil. Extra virgin and regular olive oils are high in salicylates, and light olive oil, additive-free, is lower, so it will be my choice for now. THe other low-chemical oils are canola, sunflower, rice bran oil and soybean oils, which I really DON”T WANT to have in my diet AT ALL because of their high polyunsaturated fat content.
My only seasoning is salt, because pepper, herbs and spices are high in salicylates, amines and glutamates. With the exception of parsley, which can be used in small amounts. I need to get some.
My only beverage is water. I used to enjoy green tea, but it is also rich in salicylates.
Still had some pain today… probably because I just eliminated butter last night… might take a few days to eliminate it completely out of my system.
Here’s what my food looked today:
My plan is to continue this plan, without the butter, for a week and see if I improve. If I can have 3-5 days in a row without symptoms, I’ll try a low-FODMAP, low-chemical vegetable… If things doesn’t improve before the end of June, I’ll make another appointment with my gastroenterologist… 😦